Behind the divisive initiative is Conservative MP Abdirizak Waberi, who notoriously called for banning music and dancing, prohibiting boys and girls from socializing and allowing men to beat their four wives with sticks when they became disobedient.
After protracted deliberations, the Islamic School Foundation has been ultimately granted the right to open a contested Muslim “free school” in the city of Borås, the newspaper Dagens Nyheter reported. The Borås municipality has long fought to stop the school that, it contended, would impede the integration process and cement segregation.
However, the Stockholm Court of Appeals gave the school, which previously received the backing of the School Inspectorate and the Administrative Court, the all-clear. According to the court, the municipality failed to prove the negative impact of the school with a focus on Muslim education and the Arabic language.
In several terrorist attacks performed across Europe, a connection between the perpetrators and Sweden has been established. Jihadist recruitment in the Nordic country has been made possible by politicians’ reluctance to address the problem for fear of being labeled “racist,” Swedish Defense College researcher Peder Hyllengren argued.
While Sweden, compared with other European countries, has been more or less spared from acts of terrorism (bar the recent vicious Stockholm attack and a suicide bombing in 2010), it has nevertheless functioned as a base camp for recruiting extremists, who have participated in or have been suspected of terrorist attacks abroad, National Defense College researcher Peder Hyllengren told broadcaster SVT.
In Hyllengren’s own words, Sweden “sticks out” in terms of the presence of homegrown jihadists in international terrorist networks. Sweden, a nation of 10 million, has produced around 300 jihadists, which is second most in the EU in relation to the population. Additionally, hundreds of Swedes have built up contacts with violent jihadists from other countries and entered into various terrorist cells that have committed attacks around Europe.
And that marks the end of Sweden’s national heritage.
Qaisar Mahmood, a Muslim born in Pakistan, is the new head of the Swedish National Heritage Board. This is an extremely anomalous appointment, since he readily admits that he has not read anything about Sweden’s cultural heritage. But his new job is not really about preserving and protecting Sweden’s cultural heritage and historical sites at all.
Every day since he began running for president, the international media have scoured Donald Trump’s statements and actions in search of something to mock. One day last February, they fastened on an unscripted remark he made at a rally in Florida. “We’ve got to keep our country safe,” he told the crowd. “You look at what’s happening in Germany, you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden. Sweden, who would believe this? Sweden. They took in large numbers. They’re having problems like they never thought possible.”
A Muslim caregiver in Sweden has caused controversy after she refused to purchase a Christmas ham for one of her company’s clients, saying that it violated her religious beliefs.
The case was brought before the local government council in the Swedish city of Trollhättan, where it was claimed that the elderly woman had been wronged after the Muslim caregiver had refused to buy certain food items she had been paid to pick up.
Hundreds took to the streets in the southern Swedish town of Malmo this week to protest the government’s response to a three brutal gang rapes of teenage girls over a three week period – the most recent of which took place in a playground last Saturday and left a 17-year-old girl hospitalized.
Authorities haven’t disclosed the identity of the suspect(s) and have offered scant details of the attack – though it has been described by authorities as particularly brutal, with unconfirmed reports on social media claiming the victim had lighter fluid poured in her vagina and set on fire.
“We have been policemen for a long time, several of us, I have been working for 35 years, and we have not had such a thing before. You’ve really crossed a border, it’s a very unusual treatment, says Inner Police Commander Mats Attin to SVT News Skene. –SVT (translated)
Attin adds that the 17-year-old victim was exposed to a “special ruthlessness,” during the violent encounter, however he did not go into further detail. “We have received information from the public that we find very interesting. This is a horrendous crime,” said Anders Nilsson who is leading the preliminary investigation.
The firebombing of a synagogue in Gothenburg thrust Sweden’s anti-Semitism crisis into global headlines. For years, Swedish Jews have lived in fear of such violence, which is almost always perpetrated by the country’s large and ill-assimilated Muslim minority. According to a 2013 European Union study, four out of five Jews decline to publicly identify themselves as Jewish in Sweden–a damning indictment of a country that likes to portray itself as one of the Continent’s most tolerant.
As if dodging Molotov cocktails and mobs chanting “we will shoot the Jews”weren’t enough, the reigning secularism also squeezes Swedish Jews. The Swedish state is full of solicitude for Jewish citizens in the wake of anti-Semitic attacks. But it also seeks to limit their freedom to practice their faith.
Malmö police have retracted their advice to women not to go out alone after darkness, admitting it was ‘unfortunate and unclear’.
Local police had made a much-criticised public statement advising women not to go out alone after darkness following the brutal rape of a 17-year old girl in central Malmö at the weekend.
It the third rape attack in the city in around a month, and occurred after midnight when the victim was walking through a playground area. On Sunday, the police officer leading the investigation was widely quoted in Swedish media advising women only go out in pairs or as part of a group after darkness.
This morning Malmö police issued a formal statement retracting the officer Anders Nilsson’s remarks as being “unfortunate and unclear”.
The preliminary investigation into the April Stockholm terror attack is complete and the trial is expected to begin in February, the deputy chief prosecutor in the case told Swedish broadcaster TV4.
Uzbek national Rakhmat Akilov is being held in custody after confessing to driving the truck in the attack on Drottninggatan last spring which killed five people and injured several more.
The prosecution has been granted several extensions of the time allocated to the preliminary investigation by Stockholm District Court in order to gather more evidence, with the last of the extensions approved in November.