TUNIS — Four years ago, thousands of Tunisian jihadists began flowing to the battlefields of Iraq, Libya and Syria to join the Islamic State and al-Qaeda — more than from any other nationality. Ever since, Tunisian and Western authorities have feared their return and the possible chaos that could follow.
So far, those fears haven’t materialized, according to Tunisian authorities, Western diplomats and regional analysts.
Instead, the Islamic State and al-Qaeda are recruiting a new generation of locals to stage terrorist attacks at home, including one in July near the Algerian border that left six national guardsmen dead.
Interpol believes the 50 suspects, all Tunisian nationals, may be attempting to reach other European countries
Interpol has circulated a list of 50 suspected Islamic State fighters who it believes have recently landed in Italy by boat, and may be attempting to reach other European countries.
The list, obtained by the Guardian, was drafted by the general secretariat of the international police organisation. It was sent on 29 November to the Italian interior ministry, which subsequently distributed it to national anti-terrorism agencies across Europe.
The suspects listed are all Tunisian nationals, some of whom were identified by officials when they landed in Italy. The document shows their first names, surnames and dates of births.
A recent report by Sky News Arabia implicates Tunisian “moderate” Muslim Brotherhood leader Rachid Ghannouchi in a Qatar-funded assassination of one of his political rivals and vocal critics, Chokri Belaid, in February 2013
In Tunisia, young women are expected to be virgins when they marry, leading to a growing trade in hymen reconstruction surgery.
Yasmine (not her real name) looks nervous. She’s biting her nails and checks her mobile phone constantly.
“I consider this to be deception and I’m really worried,” she says.
Dozens of Tunisians demonstrated on Sunday to demand the right to eat and drink in public during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan and to protest against non-fasters being arrested.
There is no law against eating or drinking in public during Ramadan, but every year the issue comes to the fore in the North African country.
Tunisia’s constitution guarantees ‘freedom of belief and conscience’, but the state is also the ‘guardian of religion’.
Islam is such a hateful cult.
After assessing the situation, the bureau warns of a risk of attacks ahead of the Lag B’Omer festivities that are due to take place the Tunisian island of Djerba between May 14 and 15. Attacks could also include Jewish targets, the statement said.
A Tunisian zoo that closed after a crocodile was stoned to death has reopened – with new signs instructing visitors not to throw things at the animals.
The Belvedere Zoo in central Tunis shut its gates in March after a public outcry over the animal’s death.
Images shared on social media showed the dead crocodile’s head beside what appeared to be a bloodied paving slab and another large rock.
A Tunisian court has sentenced a British DJ to a year in jail after he played a dance remix of the Muslim call to prayer.
TUNIS — Tunisia has sent more fighters abroad to join the ranks of the Islamic State than any other country. And now, as the Islamic State takes a battering on the battlefields of Syria and Iraq, the country is at odds over what to do if and when they come home.
Tunisians have been dealing with a frenzied polemic in recent weeks, as secularists have raised fears that a returning wave will bring further mayhem to this fragile state and Islamists have been forced to condemn the jihadists.
“How can we accept those people who are professionals in war, in the use of arms and have a culture of being terrorists?” asked Badra Gaaloul, a civil-military analyst who heads the International Center of Strategic, Security and Military Studies. “We in Tunisia are in crisis, and we cannot accept these people.”
Police officers “deliberately and unjustifiably” slowed down on their way to a mass terrorist shooting on a Tunisian beach, according to witness evidence to be heard at the inquests into the deaths of 30 Britons killed in the atrocity.
A report by a Tunisian judge contains testimony that police units in the resort town of Sousse purposefully delayed their arrival at the Imperial Marhaba hotel on 26 June 2015 as a gunman opened fire and killed 38 tourists, 30 of whom were British.
Resuming the inquests into the deaths at the beach resort, Samantha Leek QC, the counsel to the inquests, said a total of 38 tourists had “needlessly lost their lives” in the mass shooting.
The real mastermind behind the Tunisia terror attack has not been captured and is on the run in Tunisia, an investigation has revealed.
Chamseddine Al-Sandi has been accused of organising the beach attack which claimed the lives of 30 British tourists in a BBC Panorama investigation.
Al-Sandi, now believed to be on the run in Libya, is named in confessions from suspects who were arrested in connection with the attack in Sousse in June 2015.
Three people – including a nephew of the suspect in the Berlin Christmas market attack – have been arrested in Tunisia. Officials there say the suspects are members of a ‘terrorist cell.’
Tunisian authorities from the interior ministry announced the arrests on Saturday, a day after they had been carried out.
According to a statement, the three suspects are part of a “terrorist cell… connected to the terrorist Anis Amri who carried out the terrorist attack in Berlin.”
One of the Tunisian suspects is allegedly Amri’s nephew.