Grenfell Tower firefighters put out fridge blaze ‘and were just leaving when flats erupted in flames’

Firefighters had put out the initial fridge fire at Grenfell Tower and were leaving the building when the blaze suddenly flared up, it has emerged.

Crews believed they had put out the fire at the London high-rise and were astonished to see flames rising up the side of the building, new reports have claimed.

Shortly after dealing with the fridge fire early last Wednesday, firefighters were telling residents that it was out, BBC Panorama reported.

Share
  • Heads will roll!

  • Raymond Hietapakka

    Real 3rd World building standards in Britain? Did a photo job for Ma Bell’s Real Estate Dept. in Toronto, 1975. Watched a private, non-released, industry-only film that was made about the 1st big high-rise fire which occurred in Brazil. It laid out all the same issues. That was 45 years ago, folks…nasty film, lotsa jumpers…

    • Hard Little Machine

      Building codes are more like sternly worded suggestions, in London. Bizarrely there’s far less legal weight behind them than one would expect. Obviously, there’s little to no post completion inspection process; no sprinklers, no check on the suitability of building materials. Seems like a building can still be out of compliance and still be AOK to have residents.

      NYC used to have standards like that – in 1911, before the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. After that, there was a push to change things but mind you that was 106 years ago. It has to be much harder implement now. We’ll see more of this.

  • mobuyus

    I was taught from a young age to close the fucking fridge door when I was done.

    • Hard Little Machine

      I’ve never heard of a fridge catching fire. I guess it’s possible since it’s an electrical appliance but come on. I bet the last time a fridge not in China or Africa killed a bunch of people was in the 1920’s when they used ammonia as the coolant.

  • ed

    just put an un broadcast clip on BCF facebook which shows that headline as fake news the kitchen fire was never put out have a look

    • Gary

      In around 1933 the modern freon type coolant was used in consumer Fridges by DuPont because the old ammonia system was used mainly for Butcher shops that housed the unit in another room and ran the pipe into the cooler. Leaks in the system were killing people and too dangerous for mass use homes.
      Today units are pretty well sealed while most parts are metal .
      Something stinks .

  • Shooting up?

    Oh, dear …

  • Gary

    So now the story is that the fridge self-immolated and then jumped part way out the window to start the cladding on fire and then came back in to await the fire fighters.
    Expect a 3 year inquiry where everyone will point at the other people to blame where in the end not 1 Government Union employee will see one minute in a Court Room. The mayor will say that this is part of living in a big city.