“Refugee” arrested for plotting terror attack in Germany linked to Bardo Museum attack

German police have conducted raids in and around Frankfurt targeting suspected “Islamic State” members. Among those arrested is a Tunisian suspected of involvement in the 2015 Bardo Museum terror attack in Tunis.

Police carried out multiple pre-dawn raids in the state of Hesse on Wednesday, targeting dozens of properties and arresting a Tunisian suspected of creating a network planning a terror attack in Germany.  Prosecutors also said the 36-year-old male was suspected of playing a role in the 2015 terror attack on the Bardo Museum in the Tunisian capital.

The raid involving some 1,100 police targeted 54 homes, businesses and mosques. Sixteen suspects aged between 16 and 46 years old are under investigation for being members of a foreign terrorist group and planning to carry out attacks, authorities said. Prosecutors said the plans were in the early stages and there was no indication that a specific target had been selected.

The prime suspect, a Tunisian man, has been under suspicion since August 2015, when he arrived in Germany as an asylum seeker. He is suspected of being a recruiter and smuggler for the so-called “Islamic State” (IS) and building up a network to plan and carry out terror attacks.

Share