A Tunisian national deported from Italy on Thursday was planning an attack in the country, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.
The 23-year-old, who had been living in Brescia, a city in the northern Lombardy region, allegedly received instructions in mid-November “to carry out attacks in Italy, similar to ones in France and Belgium, in retaliation for Italy’s operations in Libya”, the statement said.
He also had contact, via social networks, with a Moroccan foreign fighter. The man returned to Italy on August 15th “after a prolonged period in Tunisia” , “showed clear signs of radicalization” and had “expressed his intention to leave Italy as soon as possible and join the Islamic State”, the ministry added.
He was deported from Rome’s Fiumicino airport on Thursday morning.