First China, now Iran, for science fraud

From Richard Stone at Science:

It’s unknown how many papers and theses are ginned up under false pretenses. In 2014, a member of Iran’s Academy of Sciences estimated that each year as many as 5000 theses—roughly 10% of all master’s and Ph.D. theses awarded in Iran—are bought from dealers. In a recent Google search, Behzad Ataie-Ashtiani, a civil engineering professor at Sharif University of Technology here who has shined a light on the practice (Science, 18 March, p. 1273), says he found 330,000 links to paper sellers in Farsi. (paywall) – Science 16 Sep 2016: Vol. 353, Issue 6305, pp. 1197 DOI: 10.1126/science.353.6305.1197More.


News at Linked In

Of course, the problem is slightly different from the one we discussed with China because the papers bought in Iran may be better than the ones the students would have written. It’s the Iranian students that are fakes, not necessarily their data.

Water engineer Behzad Ataie-Ashtiani writes on science publishing ethics as well as in his specialty.

It’s troubling that we so many exhortations to “trust science” when there is much less evidence than there used to be that a prudent person should do so. These days, it’s like trusting sausage without knowing what goe into it.

See also: Oh joy! 80+% of Chinese pharma data fabricated

  • Two of Justin’s fave nations!

    • Clink9

      “There’s a level of admiration I actually have for China. Their basic dictatorship is actually allowing them to turn their economy around on a dime.”

  • AmicusC

    i am shocked. what has the world come to that such beacons of honesty and intellectuality have sunk to such depths.

  • Drunk_by_Noon

    Fake universities granting fake degrees to fake students for producing fake research.
    Did I miss anything?
    Why is anyone surprised?
    No really, why are you?
    Those countries don’t have ANY leading universities in the world’s top 100 because everything they do is crap.
    It permeates their societies. They function like ‘cargo cults’!

  • ntt1

    Had a friend that spent a summer working in a meat plant ,in the sausage grinding and stuffing area. he found out what goes into sausages and hasn’t eaten them in 20 years.
    its a good analogy to wacademia . If people witnessed the overt indoctrination,the sausage stuffing , particularly in the “studies” classes they would be outraged their tax money supports such tripe.
    Students in the STEM studies are being forced to waste precious time to be force fed marxist third wave feminist dogma as a requirement to course completion. Even mechanical engineers are required to sit through several hours of cultural marxism in order to complete a course.

  • Hard Little Machine

    About 40% of the total output of The Lancet is known to be fake. And the other 60% is politicized twaddle.

  • Luke Hanford

    The only scientists I trust are the ones who are attacked by other scientists

  • The Deplorable Rosenmops

    I worry the corruption has infected UBC. It is almost all Chinese students, especially in sciences.

  • The Deplorable Rosenmops

    We are allowing physicians with degrees from such places as Nigeria, Pakistan, India, Russia and Iran practice in Canada. All these places are extremely corrupt and degrees can be purchased. There are physicians practicing in my town from all these places. Some of them are practicing “conditionally” meaning they haven’t written Canadian exams.

  • Norman_In_New_York

    I wonder how all this corruption affects Iran’s nuclear and missile programs.

  • mauser 98

    …lots here…global warming
    NASA Exposed in ‘Massive’ New Climate Data Fraud