I guess dead is peaceful.
…it’s true as far as it goes to say that in living memory, religion has been the prime-motivator for mass casualty terrorism. But by religion we then mean, almost exclusively, the religion of Islam.
It’s not true to say that, at least as far as the twentieth and twenty-first centuries are concerned, all religions are prone to it, or that the main problem is “extremists” of all religions. The numbers show that this, to put it even more plainly, is a lie. No Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists Sikhs, Zoroastrians or any other non-Muslim religious have executed a mass casualty terrorist attack in the twenty-first century. In the twentieth century there were perhaps as many as 3 attacks by non-Muslim actors, as opposed to over 200 such attacks my Muslims.
Mass casualty terrorism is a largely Muslim phenomenon. Considering religious groups only, it is almost exclusively Muslim.
…I sorted the attacks into eleven categories:
- Criminal (Columbian drug cartel bombings aimed at creating terror)
- Cult (Aum Shinrikyo)
- Jewish (The King David Hotel bombing and the Kahanist Cave of the Patriarchs Massacre)
- Left-wing (anarchists, non-nationalist communists, Shining Path)
- Muslim (All Jihadist attacks not including attacks by Palestinians or Chechens)
- Right-Wing (Anti-Castro groups, Czech and Italian Neo-Fascists, Militia movement, anti-insurgent paramilitaries)
- Separatists/Nationalists (IRA and Ulster Loyalists, Tamil Tigers, Basque and Kurdish Nationalists)
- Sikh (Air India Flight 182)
- State sponsored (Libya and North Korea bombings)