Prayers for the crew of the Sukhoi-24 crew that they ejected safely and are returned to their unit promptly and in good health.
This is what I think I know judging by various reports:
- A Russian Sukhoi-24 entered
Turkish airspace(now disputed by Russian and seeming confirmed by Turkish media) after attacking position(s) in Northern Syria.
- The two Turkish F-16 pilots radioed to the Russian Sukhoi-24 aircraft that they were in Turkish airspace and to depart immediately. These warnings were not responded to by the Russian aircraft.
- The Russian aircraft was illuminated by Turkish radar (which SHOULD have gotten their immediate attention) but the Russian SU-24 did NOT change its heading.
- One of the Turkish F-16s fired (what I assume to be) a heat seeking Sidewinder Missile that achieved a direct hit and downed the Russian aircrew. Russian sources claim that the Sukhoi was hit by a surface to air missile fired by Turkey.
- It APPEARS that the Russian aircrew did successfully eject their stricken aircraft.
- The Russian aircrew has NOT YET been recovered by Turkish rescue aircraft
- The Russian aircrew might have drifted back over into ISIS controlled territory in Northern Syria
I will update as more reliable info follows.
Video below the break