French authorities say the death toll from a truck-bus collision in southwestern France has risen to 43 after the body of a child was discovered in the wreckage.
The Aquitaine regional authorities said in a message posted on Twitter that the child had had been travelling with the truck driver when the crash took place Friday morning. The child was not identified, like many of the crash’s victims. The truck driver was among the dead.
French Prime Minister Manuel Valls says a bus and truck collision in southwest wine country that killed 42 was the deadliest road accident in France in more than 30 years.
Valls, speaking to reporters near the crash site in the village of Puisseguin, said eight people survived the accident, including four who were injured and in serious condition.
French media reported that the bus driver was among those who escaped, and the truck driver was killed.
Valls said: “Forty-two people were killed in atrocious conditions in this bus in flames after this very violent frontal collision.” He says the passengers were “elderly people who were going on an excursion for one day. They should have returned home tonight.”
He added: “It’s a terrible shock for the area, for (the region) Aquitaine, for France.”