The Iranians “should know better than to play politics with a tragedy”, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir told reporters on Saturday.
Riyadh has ordered an investigation into the incident that killed 769 people on Thursday, during the annual hajj pilgrimage that draws millions of Muslim pilgrims from around the world.
The kingdom “will reveal the facts when they emerge. And we will not hold anything back. If mistakes were made, who made them will be held accountable,” Al-Jubeir said while meeting the US Secretary of State John Kerry in New York.
“And we will make sure that we will learn from this and we will make sure that it doesn’t happen again,” the minister added, urging Iranian leaders to wait for the investigation results.
Earlier on Saturday, Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani called for an inquiry into the incident while addressing a UN development summit. Tehran also vowed international legal action against the Saudis over the deadly stampede.