Saudi-led air strikes hit Yemen after truce expires

People walk at the site of a Saudi-led air strike that hit a residential area last month near Sanaa airport, May 18, 2015. REUTERS/KHALED ABDULLAH

Saudi-led forces resumed military operations in Yemen after a five-day ceasefire ended late on Sunday, and Yemen’s foreign minister blamed the Iranian-allied Houthis for failure to renew the truce.

The end of the ceasefire came despite appeals by the United Nations and rights groups for extra time to allow the delivery of badly needed humanitarian supplies to the country of 25 million, one of the poorest in the Middle East.

“That’s what we said before – that if they start again, we will start again,” Yemeni Foreign Minister Reyad Yassin Abdulla told Reuters.

He said the coalition was not considering any new ceasefire but would not target air and sea ports needed for aid shipments…


In related news, Shiite Houthis stormed and looted the (Sunni) Muslim Brotherhood headquarters near Aden.

  • Linda1000

    Where is the UN, EU calling out the Saudi “disproportionate force” being used against Yemeni residential areas.

    • Frau Katze

      Nowhere, of course.

  • Hard Little Machine

    I hope this soon degrades into chemical warfare.