Half of Toronto police workforce earned $100,000 last year

A Toronto police constable who earned $244,000 in 2014 — more than double his base salary — is one of 4,125 police staff members who were paid more than $100,000 last year.


It’s my understanding that the private sector pays for about 60% of paid duty activity with “government” meaning you and me picking up the tab for the remaining 40%.

The question remains, is paid duty necessary always, sometimes, never?

Then there’s the matter of overtime…

 

Share
  • simus1

    They might have been paid that, but on a good day, less than 5% earned it.

    • Until recently they paid no tax at all on paid duty income, tax was made payable only in the last couple of years.

      • simus1

        Kept the book keeping simple, anyway.
        Sweet.

      • The Goat

        Unbelievable.

  • Rama44

    Happy St Patrick’s Day. Ya potato eatin’. Shilelagh swinging, leprechaun. And top o’ the mornin to your sainted mom.

  • ismiselemeas

    My two issues are thus, if the average cop is working all this off duty overtime surely it must compromise their ability to perform their duties when on the clock and, not only do my taxes pay their base wage but also indirectly through increased levies and rising construction costs their off duty fees as well. Neither of these sit well with me.

  • Stronger Than Dirt

    4,125 of the service’s roughly 7,800 uniform and civilian employees earned more than $100,000 in 2014. That’s up from the 2,983 police service employees who earned more than $100,000 in 2013.

    A 38 % increase in 1 year !

    • The Goat

      Sounds like a racket.

  • The Goat

    Aren’t we suckers?

  • cmh

    And I bet most of it secretly goes to jihad.