Sweden: Islamophobic Deep fryer started mosque fire: report

Five people were taken to hospital after the fire at a mosque in Eskilstuna. Photo: Pontus Stenberg/TT

A blaze at a mosque in Eskilstuna in central Sweden that injured five people on Christmas Day was caused not by a firebomb but by an overheated deep fryer, a police source told a local newspaper.

The fire was the first of three conflagrations in the space of a week at mosques across Sweden.

Police initially believed the fire at the Dawa mosque in Eskilstuna was started deliberately and opened an arson investigation.

But a police source told local newspaper Eskilstuna-Kuriren on Monday that the fire had in fact been caused by an overheated deep fryer…