IS beheaded Libyan guards in attack that seized 9 foreigners

LIBYA OIL FIELDTRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — Militants from Libya’s Islamic State affiliate beheaded eight Libyan guards in an attack on a central oil field last week during which the extremists abducted nine foreigners, a Libyan spokesman said Monday.

In the Philippines, authorities said Monday that four of their nationals were among the nine abducted from the oil field. An Austrian, a Czech, a Bangladeshi and a Ghana national were also taken while one hostage remains unidentified.

Friday’s attack on the al-Ghani oil field near the town of Zalla, some 750 kilometers (470 miles) southeast of the capital, Tripoli, was part of a series of deadly assaults on Libya’s oil lucrative infrastructure by the Islamic State group.

The attacks in recent weeks have forced Libya to declare 11 fields non-operational, including al-Ghani, and invoke a force majeure clause that exempts the state from contractual obligations…

Update: U.N. delays approval of Libya request for weapons, jets: diplomats: (Reuters) – At least seven United Nations Security Council members, including Britain, France and the United States, delayed approval on Monday of a request by Libya to import weapons, tanks, jets and helicopters to take on Islamic State militants, diplomats said.

Spain, Lithuania, Chile and New Zealand joined Britain, France and the United States in placing a so-called “hold” on the request made to the Security Council committee that oversees an arms embargo imposed upon the North African state in 2011, said council diplomats, speaking on condition of anonymity.

In a letter to the committee, obtained by Reuters, Libya said it planned to import 150 tanks, two dozen fighter jets, seven attack helicopters, tens of thousands of assault rifles and grenade launchers and millions of rounds of ammunition from Ukraine, Serbia and Czech Republic.