Around half the estimated 700 Britons who have gone to fight with Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in Syria have returned home, The Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported.
The weekly broadsheet’s figures, in a story about a leaked draft of the Home Office interior ministry’s new counter-extremism strategy, go further than previous estimates, of around 500 individuals leaving and 250 returning.
Around 320 “dangerous” jihadists have come back to Britain, the newspaper said.
More…Battle-hardened and vengeful, 300 jihadists are back in Britain
The new estimate highlights the huge difficulty facing the security services and border agencies in trying to keep Britain safe.
The Telegraph has been told that about “two dozen” individuals who have come back have been involved in plots in the UK – so far thwarted.