A Libyan accused over the 1998 Al-Qaeda bombings of US embassies in Africa died on Friday, days before he was to stand trial in New York, his lawyer and family said.
Abu Anas al-Libi, 50, was on the FBI’s most-wanted list with a $5 million price on his head when he was captured by US troops in the Libyan capital Tripoli in October 2013.
He and Saudi businessman Khalid al-Fawwaz were due to stand trial on January 12 over the attacks on the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania that killed 244 people and wounded more than 5,000.
Libi, a computer expert, died at a hospital in the New York area on Friday, his lawyer Bernard Kleinman told The Washington Post, saying the health of his client — who had advanced liver cancer – had deteriorated significantly in the last month.
Al-Libi’s wife said Saturday her husband underwent liver surgery three weeks ago, went into a brief coma and was moved prematurely back to prison…