…As of the 27th August 2014 there were no fewer than 21 competing halal certification agencies in Australia, approved to certify red meat alone.
There are many more agencies that also certify confectionary, health products, pharmaceuticals, and all varieties of processed foods.
In many cases certification is completely unnecessary as the item is already considered permissible or is in no way related to halal!
- There are no standards across the industry.
- They compete with, and denigrate, each other.
- They threaten to label businesses as racists or bigots if they refuse to pay certification fees.
- They falsely claim non-Muslims don’t have an issue with it.
- There are many undertones reminiscent of mafia style tactics.
One chicken supplier was forcibly boycotted by retail outlets under threat of the local Imam. His business lost hundreds of thousands of dollars over the ensuing three years, so he approached the Imam and agreed to pay the halal certification fee despite the fact he didn’t have to change any of his operations…