Clashes in the capital of Central African Republic have caused many casualties, the International Committee for the Red Cross said on Thursday, marking the most significant violence in Bangui since a United Nations force took over peacekeeping last month.
The violence complicated relief efforts. Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said staff were staying home on Thursday, and the Red Cross said its staff had been threatened as they tried to recover bodies.
“It’s truly regrettable that such actions can jeopardise any attempt to help the wounded,” said Antoine Mbao Bogo, president of the Central African Red Cross. His organisation initially said there had been 12 deaths, but staff did not have access to all areas.
The violence began on Tuesday when a former fighter with the mostly Muslim Séléka rebel coalition was killed by “anti-Balaka” Christian militias who mutilated his body before burning it, witnesses said…