Two all-female colleges recently agreed to officially admit male transgendered students – or biological males who dress and act like women – making them the first two universities in the nation to put such policies in place.
The policies at the Oakland, Calif.-based Mills College and Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Mass., launched this semester, and more all-female colleges are expected to follow suit.
“Just as early feminists argued that reducing women to their biological functions was a foundation of women’s oppression, we acknowledge that gender identity is not reducible to the body,” Mount Holyoke President Lynn Pasquerella said during the school’s recent back-to-school convocation…
And at Mount Holyoke, students admitted into the college may now include those:
• Biologically born female; identifies as a woman
• Biologically born female; identifies as a man
• Biologically born female; identifies as other/they/ze
• Biologically born female; does not identify as either woman or man
• Biologically born male; identifies as woman
• Biologically born male; identifies as other/they/ze and when “other/they” identity includes woman
• Biologically born with both male and female anatomy (Intersex); identifies as a woman