(Reuters) – Almost 100,000
boat people invaders have made the dangerous journey across the Mediterranean to Europe this year, a roughly 60% increase on the whole of last year, and about 800 have died in the attempt, the U.N. refugee agency said on Thursday.
The exodus has surged this year, as far more
migrants invaders put their lives in the hands of smugglers or unseaworthy vessels in a desperate attempt to reach Europe.
More than 75,000 made the trip in the first six months of the year, landing up in Italy, Greece, Spain and Malta, the UNHCR agency said. Their number included 10,500 children, two-thirds of them unaccompanied or separated from their families.
The number of the whole of 2013 was around 60,000.
The UNHCR also said that this year the numbers are accelerating: 21,000 have reached Italy since the beginning of July…