Dozens more migrants invaders feared lost at sea off Italy

The UNHCR said on Wednesday survivors recovered from a rubber dinghy by patrolling Italian vessels had told it of a further 75 occupants invaders who had been lost at sea during their journey on the flimsy, overcrowded vessel.

Italian media said Catania prosecutor Giovanni Salvi had opened an investigation and quoted him as saying the dinghy had been in a poor state.

The UNHCR said migrants invaders rescued from a third boat en route from Libya had been brought to safety in Porto Empedocle in Sicily and had told of two occupants invaders dying during the crossing. Four others were lost overboat, including a Moroccan boy who tried to reach a boat he had seen in the distance.

Wednesday’s recovery by Italian vessels included 236 migrants invaders, including four pregnant women and 54 children.

So far, about 500 people invaders have died trying to reach Europe across the Mediterranean this year, according to the UNHCR.

“Despite the huge efforts by the Italian authorities and the constant help offered by private boats, hundreds of innocent migrants and refugees invaders continue to lose their lives at Europe’s boundaries,” the UNHCR said.

It called on governments “to provide urgently legal alternatives to the dangerous journeys by sea” by guaranteeing the “possibility” of protection and asylum to those in need of refuge contemplating invasion…

Share