The Return of Jay Currie…A Correspondence with Stephen Hume re; The Heartland Leak

(By way of background, Stephen Hume is a very well respected British Columbia environmental writer usually of the old Rodrick Haig-Brown school who seems to have been traduced by the CAGW narrative.)

On Saturday, February 18, in the Vancouver Sun Hume wrote a rather nasty little piece on the Heartland leak in which, inter alia he stated “Meanwhile, the blogosphere crackles with irreverent observations that these documents appear to be evidence of the think-tank’s own cynical attempts to manufacture doubt about global warming. In fact, some claim the documents point to a nefarious scheme to subvert the teaching of class-room science.”

His email was posted at the bottom of the article and I wrote him:

How embarrassing
Jay Currie

Feb 18 (2 days ago)

to shume
Hi Stephen,

It must be embarrassing to have the key Heartland document turn out to be a warmist fake.

But carry on…the dwindling band of CAGW believers need to keep hope alive. Sloppy journalism like yours helps “the cause”.

Cheers,

Jay

—–

Stephen

Feb 19 (2 days ago)

to me
The Associated Press reports it has independently verified authenticity.

—–

Stephen Hume

Feb 19 (1 day ago)

to me
I think I neglected to forward the link top the AP report.

Stephen Hume

—-

Jay Currie

Feb 19 (1 day ago)

to Stephen

AP did not do much in the way of examination of the document Heartland stated flat out was fake. Megan McCardle over at the Atlantic has been a bit more through.

and

Given that the impugned document is the only one which has any “red meat” in it it might have been wise – after Heartland stated at least one document was fake – to wait until it was positively confirmed. Reading the AP story I saw nothing which confirmed the authenticity of the document; rather there was some attempt to confirm some of its contents.

AP relied on the ambiguity in the Heartland Press release to avoid making authenticity of the Strategy document central to its enquiries.

But do read Megan. Once again the CAGW zealots have scored an unforced own goal.

Cheers,

Jay

—–

In light of today’s revelations I wrote Hume again:

Gleick confesses to the fake

Jay Currie

7:40 PM (3 hours ago)

to Stephen
Really, really embarassing, not to mention completely underhanded and dishonest. And if you had an ounce of journalistic integrity you would publish a retraction of your article based on the fake document.

Details here http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/02/20/breaking-gleick-confesses/#more-57113

Cheers,

Jay

—–

Stephen 7:48 PM (3 hours ago)

Jay Currie

—-

7:54 PM (3 hours ago)

to Stephen
Yikes…denial.

You relied on a fake document and you are simply going to leave the record standing.

Don’t you think that is just the tiniest bit dishonest?

Cheers,

Jay

—-
Stephen shume@islandnet.com

8:02 PM (3 hours ago)

to me
No. I didn’t rely on a fake document. I wrote about the reaction to the documents — of which all but one were verified as accurate by the AP. So, no, not embarrassed.

—–

Jay Currie

8:14 PM (3 hours ago)

to Stephen
Would that be, strictly speaking, honest? Frankly, I would think that a) you would note publically that the reaction you wrote about was to a fake document, b) that the document was released by a noted warmist whose career is now, according to Andy Revkin at the NYT, over, c) this is a huge embarrassment for the CAGW crowd and the journalists who have so uncritically covered them.

My 11 year old can see the ethical implications of spread[ing] false news, I am surprised you can’t.

And I am surprised that you are not moved by simple honesty to correct the record.

But, there it is.

Cheers,

Jay

—–

Jay Currie

8:19 PM (3 hours ago)

to Stephen
Here is the link to Revkin:

The reaction you wrote about was to a calculated deception which, by remaining silent, you are helping to maintain.

Cheers,

Jay

—-
I give Hume full credit for sticking to his increasingly untenable position. But I post the correspondence as an indication of what we are likely to see in the next few days as the warmists try desperately to justify rushing to rely upon an admitted fraud without the slightest journalistic due diligence.

And, like Mr. Hume, they will simply dig themselves very much deeper in the hole Peter has so stupidly dug for them.