Dear Principal Fulton,
I am writing to you on behalf of a local group of alumni, friends and faculty (present and former) of the University of Western Ontario to express our alarm over the disclosure that two Islamist organizations — the Muslim Association of Canada (MAC) and the International Institute of Islamic Thought (IIIT) — will provide most of the $2 million in funding for a new Chair in Islamic Studies in the Faculty of Theology at Huron University College. While we commend the College for undertaking to “make a substantive contribution to understanding of Islamic thought and Muslim identity in pluralistic societies” through the establishment of this Chair, we think it is extremely ill-advised of the College to accept funding from any organization implicated in violent jihad.”
My own letter to Principal Fulton enquiring about funding and Faisal Joesph’s role in vetting donors, yea that Faisal Joseph and her response.
Dear Mr. Blazingcafur
I am pleased to respond to your questions. The Chair in Islamic Studies was just announced last Saturday evening, and the fund-raising is now beginning in earnest to reach the $2M goal. Hence the answers to questions 6,7,8,9 are at this point “zero”. The Agreement we have with IIIT is a matching agreement. If the local community raises $1M, it will be matched by IIIT in the amount of $!M. The local community is represented in the Gift Agreement by the London Mosque and the Muslim Association of Canada. The funds to meet the this local commitment will be raised from individual donors.
The answers to your other questions are:
Yes, due diligence was and will be conducted where necessary of the financial donors
Faisal Joseph has been involved in the diligence review. At this time, we do not have many donations hence further due diligence may or may not be required. Due diligence reports are not made public (not concerning donations to the Chair in Islamic Studies or any other donations made to Huron University College) such reports being information to inform decisions made at the executive and governance levels.
I trust that these answers go some way to addressing your questions. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if you require further information.
On 03/11/11, blazingcatfur wrote:
Dear Ms. Fulton,
I have several questions regarding the recently announced Chair of Islamic Studies at Huron College.
1) Was a due diligence review conducted of the Chair’s financial donors?
2) Was Faisal Joseph responsible for the due diligence review of the Chair’s financial donors, assuming one was conducted?
3) Was a formal report of the due dilligence review of the Chair’s donors prepared for and submitted to Huron College?
4) Who reviewed the donor due diligence report once it was completed?
5) Is this report available to the public, assuming one was conducted?
6) What was the specific dollar amount of the London Muslim Mosque’s donation to the Chair’s establishment?
7) What was the specific dollar amount of the Muslim Association of Canada’s donation to the Chair’s establishment?
8) What was the specific dollar amount of the Islamic Centre for Southwestern Ontario’s donation to the Chair’s establishment?
9) What was the specific dollar amount of the International Institute of Islamic Thought’s donation to the Chair’s establishment?
Thank you in advance for your assistance. Please call or e-mail with any questions.