• Xavier

    Y’all be careful on those 4 wheelers – I know you Canadians get a little crazy sometimes when you drink. The wild women across the road got drunk and were riding Polaris 550s at 3 AM, one woman was steering with one hand and holding a glass of wine in the other; she hit a little rock, flipped, and the front rack came down on her head. Squished it good, too. Plus some internal injuries. She’s alive but walks funny now – spent over two months in the hospital and the bill was over a million dollars.

    • Yikes!

      • Xavier

        Everyone rides quads on the rural roads here, and even though they’re supposed to stay on unmarked pavement they run full throttle on marked roads too. A few years back there was this annoying teenager who used the stretch in front of our house as his personal racetrack, until one day he flipped in front of the neighbor’s house. The handlebar went through the eye socket into his brain.

        Someone’s killed around here about once a week in the summer in a quad accident. It’s almost as deadly as the heroin that’s infested the local high school. Kids dropping like flies.

        So don’t do stupid stuff, y’all!

  • dswami

    Is Vlad Tepes down?

  • Xavier

    The furnace went out last night and I’ve been up all night feeding the wood stove. It’s effing cold 5 F here now, wind chill -11, in the 50s in the house except right by the stove. I’m reaching that point now where you get giddy but not sure if it’s from lack of sleep or hypothermia. You guys might be used to this but a poor southerner like me can’t take this type of cold. Damn cat abandoned me and is behind the wood stove. Fickle beast. Fingers too cold to type…

  • ntt1

    Darwin is an awesome arbiter of survival,while we have our share of wheeler deaths the most efficient Darwin mechanism has to be drunk snowmobilers
    Carving parabolic tracks across steep unstable snow packs.its called high marking and dozens have died in the last few years oftener quoting volunteer SEAR workers place themselves in danger to recover their frozen bods

  • Rick McGinnis

    What the hell happened in that second clip – a methane explosion?

  • Leonard Jones

    I can pretty much guess what happened to that worker. EVERY
    time one attempts to enter a confined space, it should first be
    sniffed for O2 level, Co, CH4 and H2S. If it alarms, you need to
    run a high volume ventilation fan to evacuate the space until
    It is clear. Then the fan needs to be reversed to maintain a
    stable oxygen level for the workers.

    There is no sign of a ventilation fan, air horn or sniffer. The
    ignition source could be something as stupid as a metal tool
    striking the ladder or a stray static spark.

    • AlanUK

      Confined spaces are a bitch!
      I used to have overview responsibility for working in Confined Spaces at a UK Power Station. You can never take anything for granted.
      A less obvious risk is where you are using a nitrogen atmosphere for long term preservation of equipment from rust. EdeF who are at least as capable as any other engineering company had 2 deaths when technicians were working on large valves attached to nitrogen-preserved plant. The first guy looked into the valve, got a lung-full of nitrogen which flushed the oxygen out of his blood and he collapsed and died. Very shortly afterwards there was another death from the same cause. EdeF stopped using nitrogen preservation.
      A local attraction is a tunnel where tar oozes slowly from the walls and forms puddles. I asked the guy in charge what precautions he took and he gave all the right answers. Top marks!
      Confined Spaces can be death traps (but they don’t need to be).

  • Leonard Jones

    PS I saw the first one almost immediately. As he was drifting
    towards the curb, I was waiting to see how long it would take him
    to hit it.