Niger: Muslims burn 68 churches

A church in Zinder, Niger is badly singed after angry protesters tried to burn it down, in the wake of Charlie Hebdo protests, January 2015. Source.

NIAMEY, Niger — At least 68 churches, two of which were Baptist, have been burned in the West African country of Niger.

Panlieba Tchalieni, president of the Union of Evangelical Baptist Churches of Niger, reported that the church burnings, carried out by Muslim extremist group Boko Haram, occurred in the Zinder region and Niamey.

“In terms of Baptist churches in Niger, we have two churches that are burned: the first evangelical church in Niger built in 1928 and another behind the Niger River built 15 years ago,” Tchalieni said.

Boko Haram, a Nigerian-based radical jihadist group that seeks to establish Sharia law, has extended its activities to other countries in West Africa, including Niger, where it has carried out recent attacks in the southeast…

Niger is 80% Muslims, according to the CIA World Factbook. The remaining 20% are described as “other (includes indigenous beliefs and Christian).”

  • BillyHW

    Such a peaceful religion.